Oh! The Places You’ll Go!
Post date: Feb 28, 2011 4:14:55 PM
My niece Ava shares a birthday this week with Mr. Theodor Seuss Geisel – but you might know him as Dr. Seuss. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Natalie’s school celebrates this. All week is Dr. Seuss week.
Monday – Crazy clothes day – Miss Natalie went all out this morning and is wearing clothes that - gasp, don’t match!!! (That’s saying something for my fashionista child)
Tuesday is red and white day (think of the Cat in the Hat’s red and white hat). She has a red shirt and puffy white down vest picked out.
Wednesday is the big day – Dr. Suess’s (and Ava’s) birthday! It is also is crazy sock day!! Right now she’s planning on wearing Santa socks. ‘Cause nothing is crazier than Santa socks when it’s not even Christmas (have I mentioned how much I adore her?)
Thursday is something. But I can’t remember. And Friday is PJ day, which Natalie will miss as we head to a family wedding.
Back to Wednesday. On Wednesday I get to go to Natalie’s classroom during my lunch break and read to them!!! I am supposed to read my favorite book!!! What?!?! Here is a list of my favorite kid books. I can’t decide:
· All 3 Knuffle Bunny books, by Mo Willems
· Don’t let the Pigeon drive the bus, also by Mo Willems
· Time to Pee, by Mo Willems (probably not appropriate – and I guarantee someday Natalie will kill me for this post)
· The Monster at the End of This Book (Sesame Street) – we love this book so much we have 2 Grover books and an app for it on my ipad.
· The Bunny Book (A Little Golden Book from 1951)
· Green Eggs and Ham, Dr. Seuss
· One Fish Two Fish…Dr. Seuss
· Little House on the Prairie, by Laura Ingalls Wilder (probably too long)
· Harry Potter Series, also too long, and perhaps inappropriate for first graders
· The Twilight Series, see the previous inappropriate comment
It is a surprise for the kids and most importantly to me, for Natalie. So unfortunately I cannot ask her input. What do you think? Post comments here - at the guestbook page or on Facebook with your suggestions. I'll report back!
“You’ll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.
And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)
Kid, you’ll move mountains!
So…be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ale Van Allen O’Shea, you’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!”
Oh! The Places You’ll Go!
by the incomparable Dr. Seuss